Title: None [Altai-yin uriyangqai-yin JidgUltU gUng-Un qosiGun-u nutuG-un jiruG]
“Map of the territory of the Ju’tgelt Lord’s banner of Altai Urianhai”
Date: None [1912-1914]
Size: 36 x 45 cm
Material: Chinese paper
References: Сономдагва 1998: 360-362; МУШ 1997 II: 19.
(1) This map represents the territory of the Ju’tgelt Lord’s banner (also called “Meirengiin Hoshuu”) of Altai Urianhai, and is estimated to have been made between 1912 and 1914, for two reasons. First, the top left of the map bears the inscription “saraGul gUng-Un nutuG-luG-a jiq-a neyilUmUi” (bordered by the Saruul Gu’n’s territory). “Saruul Gu’ng” was a title invested by the Bogd Haan on the ruler of the next banner in 1912 for having joined the Mongol state along with his banner. Tsagaanbilig, the ruler of this banner, also joined the Mongol state and was invested with the title “Ju’tgelt Gu’n.” Although these titles were abolished following the Revolution in 1921, they remained as the names of the banners until 1927 (Сономдагва 1967: 69). The second reason is contained in the word “Sabi-yin nutuG” (an ecclesiastical territory), found in three descriptions on the map. The “Sabi-yin nutuG” appears to have been the territory of the notorious Ja lam Dambiijantsan, as there was no other ecclesiastical territory in Western Mongolia. According to Burdukov, from 1912 until his arrest by Russian authorities in February 1914, Dambiijantsan had been gathering large numbers of laypersons and lamas at a place called “Munjik” or “Shar Tsek”, situated 60 versts (about 64 km) north of Hovd, in an effort to found a new state (Бурдуков 1969: 102, 114).
(2) This map is oriented with